Monday 16 February 2015

CyberARTS Surrealism Culminating Artist Statement


My culminating is about teen girls being sexualized by the media.

My intended message for this image was to tell all the teen girls that they don't need to listen to/watch the media to be beautiful or sexy. I used the Cosmo magazine because that is one of the most go-to magazines for fashion, make up and sex advice, especially for teens. I also used it as way of communicating a use of media to influence the sexulization of girls.

How I made this image: At the very beginning, I made some sketches of girls taking "Selfies" in the mirror because selfies are the #1 trend on social media at the moment. I also started researching how the media portrays women in magazines, music videos, images, advertizements and more. Once I was ready to take my 3 pictures, I went to the girl's bathroom at my school and took a few shots of the full-body mirror to get my first shot. For my second shot, I asked my friend Ivy to stand and hold an iPhone to make it look like she was taking a selfie. After that, I opened Photoshop and started working. I used 3 layers to to put the picture of Ivy and the magazine on the picture of the bathroom. I used the spot healing brush to remove stray hairs or other issues, and then I used the refine edge tool to make Ivy's edges and curves blend into the background. With the magazine layer, I placed that under the bathroom layer so that it'll show up behind the mirror and look like a reflection. To blur the magazine, I used the blur filter and adjusted how high or low I wanted it blurred. After that, I decided I was finished and saved it.

I learned alot while making this image. When i first started the project, I didn't quite know what I was doing and needed alot of help. But after finishing it, I now know how to use filters, layers, masks, image selection and alot more. I am very satisfied with the end result because I feel like I can communicate the message that is very important for every youth to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment